Email Wisconsin Legislatures
On April 25, 2008 Jennifer Bukosky, her unborn daughter Sophie Bukosky and her 10 year old daughter, Courtney Bella, were killed by Mark Benson, a long time prescription drug and alcohol abuser. Also injured in the crash were her 12 year old son, Zach Bella, and Courtney's friend, Debbie Gibbs. Two days before killing Jenn and the children, Benson received his third OWI conviction.
This scene is repeated again and again in Wisconsin. Hundreds are killed and thousands injured every year. As a result Jenn's family, as well as thousands of other Wisconsin citizens, is demanding that legislators strengthen Wisconsin's Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) laws. By sending the following email, you are indicating support for change and telling Wisconsin lawmakers that change must occur now. Thank you for your support. Together, we can get OWI laws changed.
To: Wisconsin Legislators
As a voter and resident of the State of Wisconsin, we DEMAND that both Houses of the Legislature support sweeping reform to current Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) laws. Wisconsin drunk driving statistics are shameful. We must make the roads safer for the families of this state. We need your help in order to accomplish this goal. We expect your support when new legislation is introduced before committees and then put to a vote. We advocate the following changes:
- The first offense a crime
- The third offense a felony
- Mandatory minimum jail time for all offenses
- Strict laws for driving with a revoked/suspended licenses and a felony charge if persons are injured or killed
- Law allowing for sobriety checkpoints
- Mandatory ignition interlock on 1st offense if BAC is 0.16 or higher and 0.08 for repeat offenders
- Mandatory education/treatment programs for alcohol and drug abusers
Thank you for your support.